How to look after your sex toys
Spending a few minutes cleaning and caring for your sex toys before and after use will help them stay in good condition (bringing you years of pleasure!) and, more importantly, remove dirt, bacteria and other nasties that might give you an infection.
The information on this page is a general guide. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions when it comes to cleaning your toys, particularly if your toy has batteries or a motor that could be damaged by immersing in water – sparks could fly in all the wrong ways.
Washing your sex toys
All sex toys can be washed.
- To help stop dirt and bacteria building up.
- To help stop infections being passed to another person or another part of the body.
- If you’ve had an infection, to help stop you reinfecting yourself.
- Before and after each use.
- If you're sharing toys with someone else you should wash them or cover with a new condom before anyone else uses them. See below for more about using condoms on your toys.
- Use a clean cloth to wipe thoroughly with warm, soapy water or try a special sex toy cleaner or wipes.
- Waterproof toys can be submerged in water – if you’re not sure your toy is waterproof don’t risk it!
- Rinse and allow your toys to dry completely before putting them away.
Using condoms on your sex toys
Putting a condom on a toy is the best way to protect yourself from getting or passing on infections and, if you’re sharing toys or using them on more than one part of the body, it means that you don’t have to interrupt sex to go and wash your toy.
- If you're sharing sex toys with anyone else.
- If you're inserting a toy in different parts of your body (for example the vagina and anus). In particular, bacteria that can be harmless in the anus can cause infections in the vagina.
- If you have, or might have, an infection in your vagina or anus.
- A condom will help protect you from passing bacteria, viruses or other infections from one person to another or one part of the body to another.
- If you have an infection they can also help prevent the possibility of it lingering on your toy and re-infecting you later.
- Cover the toy with a new condom before a different person uses it or it's inserted in a new part of the body.
- Make sure you get male condoms that are the right size – for example a larger toy may be too large for a regular sized condom to stretch over.
- If you're using condoms on a silicone toy, avoid condoms lubricated with silicone.
Sterilising your sex toy
Some people like to sterilise their toys with boiling water, a sterilising solution or surgical spirit. Depending on the material your toy might not be suitable for sterilisation, so cover it with a condom instead.
Cleaning your Rocks Off toys
Sex toys can be made from a variety of different materials. The materials used should be clearly stated in the packaging.
The Rocks Off toys sold by FPA Pleasure on this website are made of either silicone or ABS plastic.
Rocks Off recommend the following:
- Clean your toy thoroughly before and after each use with a sterilising fluid or toy cleaner. Wipe clean if not waterproof.
- Do not use alcohol-based products or undiluted detergents as this may damage the surface of your toy.
- Take care when cleaning your toy; remember it’s an electrical item and moisture could damage it or react with the batteries.
Storing your Rocks Off toys
- Store your toy in its packaging or the protective case or bag if it has one.
- Always allow your toy to cool down before storing.